Saturday, December 13, 2014

Finished in 2014 No. 8

 This quilt was over a year in the making - at least the planning began a little over a year ago when this fabric line was announced.  The designer is one of my favorite children's artists and then it featured horses.  I knew right away I needed to make Bekah a quilt with it.  And the deal was sealed with the little girl featured in the panel that looks just like her (although shorter hair!).  I pre-ordered the fabric in January and then it sat around until this summer.  The blocks aren't all that complicated but all that sashing made this quilt quite the effort to assemble.  And it was waaaay to big for me to quilt myself so it was shipped off to Alaska where my Mom did the quilting on a rented long-arm machine.  I finished the binding over Thanksgiving and finally managed to take pictures today (it was heavy so I had to have Mark help me hang it!).  And then it was delivered to Bekah today and she loves it!  And I think it will be a long time before I make another one this size - whew!
 The 'Bekah' panel!
 One of the horses.
 Side view.
I used a double wide backing - I didn't want to piece the back!  I had originally had grand plans of using the panel fabric but then decided that was too much effort!  I'm so glad it is done,  And a big thanks to my Mom - would have taken me forever to do it on my own!

No comments: